- Collagen is probably the most prevalent protein within the physique, supporting the whole lot from hair and nails to joint and bone well being.
- Your physique’s collagen manufacturing slows down in your 20s, however collagen dietary supplements may also help make up any gaps.
- Studying how a lot collagen to take day by day may also help guarantee you feel and look your greatest.
Collagen is considered one of your physique’s unsung heroes. This structural protein does all of it—after which some. From serving to your pores and skin keep wholesome to supporting flexibility in your joints, collagen is among the key items to the puzzle to feeling and looking your greatest.
Collagen dietary supplements may also help guarantee your physique has sufficient collagen for all these essential jobs. However, you’re in all probability questioning: How a lot collagen ought to I take? And when (and the way) ought to I take it? Learn on to study extra about supplementing with this powerhouse protein, and get all your collagen questions answered.
Why ought to I take collagen?
As probably the most considerable protein within the physique, collagen wears quite a lot of essential hats. Need easy and supple pores and skin? Or, how about wholesome hair and nails? Collagen makes that doable. Plus, it’s one of many main constructing blocks in your bones, tendons, ligaments and connective tissues.
Your physique naturally produces collagen. However as you age, each the speed and high quality of collagen manufacturing decelerate. That doesn’t precisely bode properly for bone creation and joint well being, however not all hope is misplaced! Your pores and skin will be the first to point out indicators of getting old within the type of wrinkles and superb traces, however taking collagen as a part of your skincare routine may also help assist pores and skin elasticity, pores and skin hydration and total pores and skin well being.
The news on hydrolyzed collagen
Hydrolyzed collagen, particularly, makes it simple in your physique to place this very important protein straight to work. And it has the aspect profit of creating collagen powder dissolve simply in drinks! Let our in-house knowledgeable clarify precisely how the method works.
“Hydrolyzed collagen, often known as collagen peptides, describes collagen that has undergone a course of referred to as hydrolysis,” says TakeCalcium Supervisor of Science and Vitamin Emily Gonzalez, ND. “This course of takes collagen and breaks it down into smaller molecules—amino acids, di- and tri-peptides—in order that it could be extra simply absorbed and in order that it’s soluble in chilly water. Bigger molecules, made up of the identical amino acids, are referred to as gelatin and are solely soluble in sizzling water, and can gel in chilly water.”
TakeCalcium tip: When you’re following a vegan eating regimen otherwise you merely choose to not eat animal merchandise, you need to know that many dietary supplements derive collagen from animal sources. Some marine collagen dietary supplements derive collagen from fish, whereas different plant-based dietary supplements don’t truly include any collagen, however may also help assist your physique’s personal manufacturing of this essential protein. Search for phrases like “bovine collagen” or “marine collagen” that will help you decide which dietary supplements greatest suit your eating regimen and way of life.
How a lot collagen ought to I take?
There’s no one-size-fits-all strategy for the way a lot collagen to take day by day, however there are some greatest practices.
“There is no such thing as a official really useful day by day dose of collagen, like these for nutritional vitamins and minerals,” says Dr. Gonzalez. “Nevertheless, your physique does want the amino acids from collagen, like glycine, proline and hydroxyproline, each single day.”
Glycine is a nonessential amino acid that helps your physique produce a key antioxidant referred to as glutathione. 
“Glycine isn’t current in considerable quantities in sources of protein that we eat every single day,” Dr. Gonzalez says.
That’s why supplementing your eating regimen with collagen merchandise is essential. However how precisely do you have to implement this wellness apply?
One of the best ways to reply the query, “How a lot collagen ought to I take per day?” is to speak to your physician or nutritionist about your targets. Are you making an attempt to higher handle your weight? Construct muscle mass? Burn fats? The appropriate day by day quantity of collagen may even fluctuate based mostly in your day by day exercise ranges.
As a common guideline, although, Dr. Gonzalez recommends 10-30 grams of collagen per day.
As for when? There’s no hard-and-fast rule about the most effective time of the day for taking collagen dietary supplements. Go along with what works greatest in your schedule. Whether or not that’s a quality-fat-packed chilly brew for breakfast or a collagen protein bar as a noon snack (or, let’s be trustworthy, each!), it’s completely as much as you!
“Collagen might be taken each time is most handy for every individual,” Dr. Gonzalez says. “It’s not a stimulant, so it is not going to maintain you up within the night. At night time, it could actually present replenishing amino acids to assist wholesome pores and skin, bones and joints. And through the day, at a dose of 10g, it has been discovered to supply aid from joint ache throughout and after train.”
What occurs if I take an excessive amount of collagen?
If there are such a lot of advantages of collagen, you is likely to be questioning if it’s a good suggestion to take much more than the really useful dose. However with collagen, as with many dietary dietary supplements, extra isn’t at all times higher.
“It’s best to remain inside the really useful day by day protein consumption tips based mostly in your targets and desires,” Dr. Gonzalez says.
Taking an excessive amount of collagen (or different proteins) might trigger you to really feel unintended effects like indigestion or intestinal discomfort, but it surely’s not more likely to hurt you past that.
“Collagen is a protected and unhazardous day by day complement that normally doesn’t trigger hostile results,” Dr. Gonzalez says.
Methods to up your collagen consumption
If you wish to enhance your day by day collagen consumption, there are many scrumptious and straightforward methods to do it. A couple of of our favorites embody:
- TakeCalcium Power Collagen Protein: This versatile complement incorporates collagen protein, all 9 important amino acids, MCT oil and a Customized Power Mix. Whereas Vanilla Bean might lend to extra taste experimentation, Darkish Chocolate will certainly hit that candy spot.
- TakeCalcium Collagelatin: When you like to cook dinner, that is the type of collagen you’ve been looking for! It blends simply into sizzling soups, sauces, jellies and puddings as a thickening agent that additionally packs a robust punch of collagen!
- TakeCalcium Collagen Protein Bars: Want a fast snack that you could be ok with consuming? Attain for a TakeCalcium Cafe Latte Collagen Protein Bar. These satisfying treats include 11 grams of protein from hydrolyzed collagen and cashew butter. (Undoubtedly don’t sleep on the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and Berry Cobbler flavors, both.)
- TakeCalcium Immune Protection Collagen Protein Packets: Every packet incorporates nutritional vitamins C and D, collagen protein and a Customized Immune Mix to strengthen your physique’s pure defenses. In different phrases: a handy, sugar-free method to assist your immune system.
- TakeCalcium Unflavored Intestine Well being Collagen Protein: Not solely does this flavorless complement include the best vitamins for wholesome digestion and a thriving intestine microbiome, but it surely additionally offers 10 grams of grass-fed collagen protein per serving to assist wholesome bones, muscular tissues and joints!†
- TakeCalcium Stress Reduction Collagen Protein: Made with ashwagandha, magnesium citrate and a Customized Stress Mix, it mixes simply into sizzling or chilly drinks to assist your physique’s capacity to remain balanced.† The subtly candy spearmint taste of Honey Mint makes it extremely simple to sip on, too!
- TakeCalcium Sleep Collagen Protein: Between the scrumptious style of Lucuma Vanilla and the mixture of collagen protein, melatonin, chamomile and magnesium, this complement is ideal for these in the hunt for extra restful sleep. Merely add a scoop to your favourite caffeine-free tea (water additionally works simply superb!) for a soothing bedtime tonic.
Associated: 14 Collagen Peptide Recipes to Make Your Pores and skin Glow
TakeCalcium recipes with correct collagen assist
Several types of collagen are good for including to meals, snacks, smoothies and your morning espresso. Plus, collagen can assist your targets on keto, low-carb and paleo! For inspiration, attempt including one (or a number of!) of those tasty collagen supplementation recipes to your rotation this month…
1. No-Bean Keto Chili
Made with grass-fed floor beef or lamb and flavorful spices like cayenne pepper, cumin and chili powder, this beanless keto chili is a heat and hearty meal. The addition of Collagelatin makes it a great supply of day by day collagen, too.
2. Zoodles With Keto Alfredo Sauce
Maintaining a healthy diet and fueling your physique doesn’t imply it’s a must to quit all of your favourite meals. Love Italian night time? Whip up this low-carb alfredo recipe that doesn’t skimp one bit on taste. Our secret weapon: It’s made with unflavored collagen powder to craft a creamy cashew-based sauce that tops a heap of nutrient-rich zucchini noodles.
3. Home made Collagen Bone Broth
When you make this do-it-yourself collagen bone broth recipe, you’ll by no means return to store-bought. Not solely is it hearty and scrumptious, however the added collagen protein helps present an additional enhance in your pores and skin, muscular tissues and joints.
4. No-Bake Protein Brownie Bites
These chocolatey delights are so decadent, you might overlook they’re truly good for you. With the assistance of a TakeCalcium Sea Salt Darkish Chocolate Bar and collagen protein powder (plus, high quality fat from TakeCalcium Grass Fed-Ghee), these take simply quarter-hour to make, from begin to end.
5. Collagen Sleep Tea
Steep some ginger tea, add coconut milk, combine in Sleep Collagen Protein and sprinkle with cinnamon, and also you’ll be counting sheep very quickly. The appropriate collagen system can truly assist assist sleep.
The underside line: Collagen dietary supplements have many well being advantages and may also help you feel and look your greatest, irrespective of how or whenever you wish to take them. Although taking an excessive amount of collagen probably gained’t damage you, it’s greatest to work with a healthcare supplier or dietitian to find out the correct quantity of day by day collagen protein for you.
Now certain precisely how a lot protein you need to eat every single day? We put collectively this useful information to assist decide your superb protein consumption.
This text has been up to date with new content material.